[OpenAFS] VOS commands

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:02:03 +0100

Juha J=E4ykk=E4 wrote:
> I was wondering, what do the commands "vos changeloc" and "vos
> convertROtoRW" actually do? The "vos help" on these is rather scarce an=
> openafs.org docs have nothing at all. Obviously new additions. Are they=

> documented somewhere? Don't tell me in the defunct wiki. =3D) Luckily i=
t's
> on its way back up...
>=20
> -Juha
>=20

"vos converRotoRW" can be used if you have lost the partition where the=20
RW-volume was but still have a RO-volume somewhere else. In this case=20
you can convert the RO-volumes to the new RW-volume. This is much faster =

than a "vos dump | vos restore" because it only changes some fields in=20
the volinfo-file and renames some files in /vicep<x>/AFSIDat/..../special=

This is part of a backup strategy:

The mount points for our home directories are always made with the "-rw" =

option. We then have in the same partition a RO-volume and another one=20
on a different server. The first RO-volume keeps the time needed for the =

reclone during "vos release" short and doesn't really consume much disk=20
space because only changed files and some metadata files are duplicate.
The remote RO-volumes are our real backup system.

Even if you have lost a TB partition you can be back again in production =

after half an hour.

Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                           e-mail reuter@rzg.mpg.de
					   phone +49-89-3299-1328
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)               fax   +49-89-3299-1301
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)