[OpenAFS] Quickbooks & OpenAFS Recommendation

Mike Bydalek mbydalek@contentconnections.com
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:25:15 -0700

--------------020006010404020503060601

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Mike Bydalek wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I currently have OpenAFS 1.4.1-rc6 Windows clients using Kerberos
>> authentication.  The problem I'm having is that we unfortunately use
>> Quickbooks.  I know byte-range locking on Windows clients is still
>> somewhat up in the air, so I can't reliably store the data files on the
>> server.
>>

> In 1.4.1 the Server fully implements byte range locking.  However,
> the byte range locks are not backed by AFS locks.

This may sound like a silly question, but do the byte range locks need
to be backed by AFS locks, or is having byte range locking enough for a
database?

> After 1.4.1 ships we will release 1.5 which will be a development
> release.  This release will experiment with backing the byte range
> locks with AFS file locks.  However, it will only be safe to use when
> all of the clients accessing the files support the locks.

Sure, this makes sense.

>> The catch-22 is that since I'm using Kerberos for authentication, I
>> can't get peer to peer sharing working because Windows is looking for a
>> domain controller (I think), and can't find one.  I know this isn't
>> really an OpenAFS question, but I'm hoping that someone else out there
>> will have a similar setup with a suggestion on how I can share these
>> Quickbooks files.
>>

> XP Workstation shares require that either a domain account be used or
> a local account.  The user connecting to the share must know the name
> and password of the account in question.  NTLM will be used unless you
> have disabled it by policy.

The problem I am having is that Windows doesn't know where to look for
the user accounts because it's on a Kerberos domain - not a Windows
domain, yet remains in "workgroup mode."  I may have to move this to the
Kerberos list, but I just thought I would ask since I'd be very
surprised if no one else was using that type of setup.
> Jeffrey Altman

Thanks,
Mike

--------------020006010404020503060601

<head>
</head>
Jeffrey Altman wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Mike Bydalek wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi All,

I currently have OpenAFS 1.4.1-rc6 Windows clients using Kerberos
authentication.  The problem I'm having is that we unfortunately use
Quickbooks.  I know byte-range locking on Windows clients is still
somewhat up in the air, so I can't reliably store the data files on the
server.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
In 1.4.1 the Server fully implements byte range locking.  However,
the byte range locks are not backed by AFS locks.
  </pre>
This may sound like a silly question, but do the byte range locks need
to be backed by AFS locks, or is having byte range locking enough for a
database?&nbsp; <br>
  <pre wrap="">After 1.4.1 ships we will release 1.5 which will be a development
release.  This release will experiment with backing the byte range
locks with AFS file locks.  However, it will only be safe to use when
all of the clients accessing the files support the locks.
  </pre>
Sure, this makes sense.<br>
  <pre wrap="">
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The catch-22 is that since I'm using Kerberos for authentication, I
can't get peer to peer sharing working because Windows is looking for a
domain controller (I think), and can't find one.  I know this isn't
really an OpenAFS question, but I'm hoping that someone else out there
will have a similar setup with a suggestion on how I can share these
Quickbooks files.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
XP Workstation shares require that either a domain account be used or
a local account.  The user connecting to the share must know the name
and password of the account in question.  NTLM will be used unless you
have disabled it by policy.

  </pre>
The problem I am having is that Windows doesn't know where to look for
the user accounts because it's on a Kerberos domain - not a Windows
domain, yet remains in "workgroup mode."&nbsp; I may have to move this to
the Kerberos list, but I just thought I would ask since I'd be very
surprised if no one else was using that type of setup.<br>
  <pre wrap="">Jeffrey Altman
  </pre>
Thanks,<br>
Mike