[OpenAFS] Connection timeouts

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:24:42 -0600

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>>> Added to what?
>>
>> the fs checkserver command.
>>
>> There is an fs checkserver -interval command to set the interval, but
>> there isn't one to print the current interval, which is weird b/c fs
>> checks -interval tells you what the old interval was
>
> [C:\src\openafs\openafs-1-4-0-branch]fs checkserver -interval 0
> The current down server probe interval is 180 secs

Oh, nice.  Was it obvious to everyone else that using a "0" argument
would simply print the current interval?  I had no idea.

Hmm... it is listed that way at:
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/AdminReference/auarf133.htm so I guess
not knowing is entirely my fault.

> Note that the "fs checkserver" command checks "down" servers and the
> specified interval affects only the down server check.   The interval
> that is important for NAT UDP port preservation is the "up" server
> check and that value is determined at compile time.

Yes, I was aware of that, but users who experience NAT problems, do some
quick searches, and attempt to fix it themselves often end of looking at
the fs checks interval command b/c its the only interval that they can
find and tweak.

Is there a particular reason it is defined at compile time and isn't
configurable on the fly?  (Other than no one having written it yet, of
course.)

Would it be reasonable to have an fs "checkuptime" or similar command
that only prints the current "up" interval now, but can eventually
support setting the value as well?

<<CDC