[OpenAFS] Re: /usr/sbin/afsd --impatient

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:14:15 -0800

"Christopher D. Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
>> From the perspective of the People Making The Decisions, this is a
>> problem with AFS, not a problem with Mac OS X.  You know that's wrong,
>> I know that's wrong, but we cannot change it.

> You could simply revert to Mac OS 10.3.  Or are you on 10.3?

One user was originally on an installation of 10.3 that had been rock
solid for a long time.  I installed 1.4.1rc6-for-Panther on it and it
kernel panicked left and right (no blame for this; it's a release
candidate so I probably should've been using 1.4.0).  Going back to
10.3 isn't really an option at this point -- AFS isn't important
enough to these people to warrant reinstalling an older version of
their OS.

> There is no released client for Tiger,

Yes, that's why I'm interested in a kludge like cranking down the
timeout.  At least until there is a released client.

More generally, though, I have a feeling that because of the busted
design of the finder, even a "perfect" Tiger client is going to cause
totally unrelated stuff to go out to lunch for whatever the timeout
period is set to.  I've noticed that if you have an AFS folder-window
open, you shut down, and then boot back up on a strange network (say,
private network with no access to the Internet) the Finder will pout
at you for a good five minutes after you log in.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380