[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS + Kerb5

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:27:12 -0800

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

> Maybe we should invoke some configure magic to allow building the user
> space components with gcc on Solaris.  I'm not enough of a configure
> expert to know how to do this.

The way this is all handled right now is fairly annoying and needs a lot
of rejiggering.  Basically, we need to use the compiler specified by the
user and only set the compiler to our guess for that platform if the user
didn't specify one, but in order to distinguish between a user-provided
compiler value and an Autoconf-provided compiler value, this decision has
to be made much earlier in the configure process than it is right now.
Right now, we figure out the compiler after we've run other checks that
will cause the Autoconf compiler macro to fire.

Last time I looked at it, it looked like we had to have a valid compiler
to figure out the AFS sysname, which means that we're probably going to
have to make compiler decisions based on the GNU host triplet rather than
the AFS sysname.  That's a fairly large change.

Hm... alternately, I suppose we could just stash the original CC value
somewhere at the top of configure and then check it later.  Actually,
that's probably the cleanest way of doing this, and doesn't require as
much fiddling.