[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS + Kerb5

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:54:13 +0100

On Feb 16, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Sergio Gelato wrote:
> * Jeff Blaine [2006-02-15 13:50:52 -0500]:
>> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -O -I/export/home/src/openafs-1.4.1-rc7/include
>> -I. -dy -Bdynamic -I. -c ./config.c
>> make[3]: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: Command not found
>
> I don't think this invalidates all the ideas about improving the
> build scripts in any way, but in the specific case of Sun's unbundled
> C compiler I read on http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/cc/products/
> get.html :
>
> "Sun Studio 11 software is available as a [...] download, at no
> charge."
>
> So a quick and inexpensive fix might be to install /opt/SUNWspro/
> bin/cc .

On most UNIX systems you need the 'native' compiler to build the
kernel parts.
It _won't_ work otherwise. (There were people trying to use gcc on
SGI IRIX and IBM AIX.)
This is something we know for a long time, and I don't see how
that'll change.

So, if someone is to redo the compiler recognition make sure all the
work is not completely useless.
You can't use servers (the userland processes) on HP-UX, IBM AIX, and
SGI IRIX systems without having the kernel module loaded,
thus you won't gain anything by compiling the userland parts with
gcc. You still need the 'native' compilers.

The only platform where those checks really matter is maybe Linux.

Don't get me wrong, there is room for improvement in the automated
recognition magic there, but I don't think it's really worth the
effort on all platforms.

Horst