[OpenAFS] Re: what is "status: 11862790" (Tiger, rc8)

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:24:49 -0500

>> /Library/OpenAFS/Tools/bin/translate_et 11862790
>> 11862790 (ktc).6 = unknown cell was passed to SetToken
>
>Thanks Derrick -- I didn't know about translate_et.
>
>Any ideas on why I might get this error?  The cell in question has an
>AFSDB entry, I've definately got my afsd running with "-afsdb", and
>the DNS server hosting these records is very reliable.

Aklog thinks (for whatever reason) that the cell you're supposed to be
using is research.cs.berkeley.edu.  I'm assuming that's right (afsdb
records exist for that, so it _seems_ right).

That error only gets returned in one case: one of the kernel calls
returned ESRCH.  I guess that can happen if afs_GetCellByName or
afs_GetPrimaryCell fails.  Since aklog always passes in a cell name, I
am guessing that afs_GetPrimaryCell never gets invoked and
afs_GetCellByName is always used.

So ... that walks the internal cell list, and then does an afsdb lookup.
If that fails, then you'll get the error.

Why this is happening is not clear to me.  Maybe putting some debugging
statements in Afsdb_LookupHandler would be useful.

--Ken