[OpenAFS] Re: can one machine act as fileserver for multiple cells?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:58:21 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> yes, we should consider having the vldb return port information for
> fileservers, which would make this easier: you'd only need separate
> vldbs.

Can the current fileserver code cope with two copies of itself
(belonging to different cells) running on a single machine?  If you
compiled two copies of OpenAFS with different --prefix= flasgs, would
there be any problems remaining (other than fighting over the same UDP
port)?

I've always been a bit troubled by "ThisCell"... it is a nice
simplifying assumption to insist that each server machine belongs to
exactly once cell, but lifting that restriction has advantages.  How
deeply into the AFS code is this assumption ingrained?  Do on-disk
volumes "know" what cell they belong to (is it written in a file
somewhere inside /viceX/?)

  - s

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380