[OpenAFS] Practical strategies for a backup in a (very) small cell

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan@gmail.com
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:19:52 -0500

Hi

With extensive help from Russ and others on this list, I setup our afs cell on
a debian server many months ago, and it has been working out for us really
well. I have defined backup volumes for every user and bos executes a backup
process every 24 hours at an unearthly hour. However, the backup volume is
located on the same physical disk as the actual user volumes, and thus is
really not a backup.

The physical location of the cell server (there is only one machine in this
cell with no plans to add any more) is quite secure. I would like to migrate
the backup volumes onto removable storage all the same (such as a large USB
harddisk). I have a few questions :

1. Is this a wise choice given the constraints (I cannot add any more machines
to this cell, at least right now) ?
2. Depending on your opinion on 1, how should I migrate the backup volume,
nothing else, to the new location ?

Thanks,

MS