[OpenAFS] Last Update not updating?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:55:15 -0500

On Wednesday, January 11, 2006 09:35:03 AM +0100 Horst Birthelmer
<horst@riback.net> wrote:

> Not a bad idea, since the client application decides which call it uses.

Well, actually, not.  The client applications currently make the same RPC
they always have; the difference is that the volserver handles those RPC's
(AFSVolListOneVolume, etc) differently.

I intend to extend the RPC interface so that the client application can
specify whether it wants the "fast" or "slow" behavior for these
operations.  I may also extend the fssync interface so that even for the
"slow" case, the volserver can request that the volumediskdata be updated
without actually forcing the full sync().

At the same time, I will change both 'vos examine' and 'vos listvol' to
take command line switches to specify which form of call should be used.
At present, my intention is for 'vos examine' to default to the slow
method, but to continue to use the fast method for 'vos listvol'.  I might
get really fancy, and make 'vos listvol' fall back to the slower method
depending on what data it is asked to print.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer