[OpenAFS] troubleshooting when fileserver goes out to lunch?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:52:07 -0500

On Wednesday, January 11, 2006 07:47:24 PM -0800 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> What should I do to gather data when the fileserver process stops
> responding to requests for certain directories and refuses to shut
> itself down?

What exactly to you mean by "stops responding"?
Does it return an error?
Does the call hang indefinitely?
Does the call time out?
What does rxdebug say?

>  root@goliath:~#bos shutdown goliath.megacz.com
>  bos: failed to shutdown servers (communications failure (-1))

That's not "refuses to shut down"; that's "communications failure".
The bosserver is not answering your RPC.  Perhaps there is no bosserver
running on that host?