[OpenAFS] Hierarchic Replicating

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:00:53 -0500

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006 09:56:19 AM -0500 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Erland Fristedt X3M (KI/GIS) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hmmm, do you mean that I need to have three differnt cells or
>> do a restore of the RO volume to a new RW volume?
>
> Neither. I mean what I said. It's just not pretty, because you need to
> force the release to fail, basically, and then complete it after you've
> manually pushed the changes on the remote sites, so the actual work done
> by the release in the step where you let it succeed is "none"
>
> It's not worth seriously pursuing doing this, at least with the tools as
> is.

It would also be possible to produce a hacked-up version of 'vos' that used
a multi-level forwarding technique.  The logic would be somewhat complex,
though, and it would need to get information about the "heirarchy" from
someplace other than the VLDB, at least for the moment.

-- Jeff