[OpenAFS] is there any good reason to use capialized names for new realms?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:44:25 -0800

Is there any good reason to use an all-capitalized realm name (ie
FOO.COM) rather than a lowercase *realm* name (foo.com) when setting
up a brand-new realm with no backwards-compatability requirements
other than being able to run [a recent version of] AFS?

I'm still in the short window where I can consider tearing things
apart and putting them back together, but that window is closing, and
case-sensitivity issues have already bitten me a few times.  It would
be nice to have my realm and cell use exactly the same lowercase name
(easier to type and remember).

  - a

PS, this borders on being a kerberos-only issue, but I'm interested in
    the answer principally in the context of AFS, which is why I'm
    posting here instead of the Kerberos list

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380