[OpenAFS] is there any good reason to use capialized names for new realms?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:15:00 -0800

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Is there any good reason to use an all-capitalized realm name (ie
> FOO.COM) rather than a lowercase *realm* name (foo.com) when setting
> up a brand-new realm with no backwards-compatability requirements
> other than being able to run [a recent version of] AFS?

Yes, there's a lot of software out there that assumes all realm names are
in uppercase.  It's possible to use lowercase realms (stanford.edu is a
lowercase realm), but learn from our mistake and don't do it.  It's not
worth it.