[OpenAFS] Re: is there any good reason to use capialized names for new realms?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:58:33 -0800

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
> Yes, there's a lot of software out there that assumes all realm names are
> in uppercase.  It's possible to use lowercase realms (stanford.edu is a
> lowercase realm), but learn from our mistake and don't do it.  It's not
> worth it.

I'd actually be really interested in knowing more about what broke.
Are there any non-ancient libkrb's that include this assumption, or is
it just some poorly written applications?

I dunno, if anything, the fact that you're running an entire
university on a lowercase realm is encouraging rather than
discouraging... ;)

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380