[OpenAFS] installing OpenAFS-client on Ubuntu

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:12:35 -0800

Ryan Propper <rpropper@stanford.edu> writes:

> I was trying to install the OpenAFS client on an Ubuntu 5.10/Breezy
> Badger laptop today, according to the directions at
> http://www.equivalentsystems.net/marten/ubuntuafs.php.  Specifically:

>     sudo apt-get install module-assistant
>     sudo module-assistant prepare openafs-modules
>     sudo module-assistant auto-build openafs-modules
>     sudo dpkg -i /usr/src/openafs-modules*
>     sudo apt-get install openafs-client openafs-krb5 krb5-user krb4-config

> Unfortunately, when I finished editing my site-specific configuration
> files and tried to start the client, I got:

>     Starting AFS services:FATAL: Error inserting openafs
> (/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/fs/openafs.ko): Invalid module format

> Why is my module format "invalid" if I just built it from source?  Does
> anyone know how to resolve this?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

What version of the OpenAFS package is in Ubuntu 5.10?  That looks really
familiar, like it's a bug that I fixed in a later release in Debian that
may have been too late to make it into Ubuntu.  Looks like you need at
least 1.4.0-1 to work with 2.6.12-10 presuming the Ubuntu 2.6.12-10
matches the Linux version.

openafs (1.4.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream version.
    - Builds correctly with 2.6.13 kernels and software suspend.
    - Builds correctly with 2.6.12-10.  (Closes: #337883)

although that problem was a compilation error.