[OpenAFS] Re: the notion of "site" is not always well-defined / "project cells"

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:50:47 -0800

Side note: Jeff H's description of my situation is exactly correct,
down to the last detail.

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> Adam is the administrator of his cell and until he can convince the
> powers that be at Berkeley to distribute configuration data for him

This is the strange part: no such power exists here.

Maybe it's "a Berkeley thing".  My personal interpretation is that
people act as if "nothing is any more official than the number of
people you've persuaded to rely on it".  The majority of the people in
the department retain exclusive administrative control of their own
workstation.  This is true in many other departments here as well.

I really miss Andrew.  A lot.  A whole lot.  The faculty here are sick
of me telling them this.  On the other hand, the Berkeley approach
makes it easy to lead by example, even in unorthodox directions.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380