[OpenAFS] SuSE 10.1 kernel 2.6.16.13-4/64Bit compile error - OpenAFS 1.5.2

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:48:42 -0400

On Monday, July 10, 2006 02:08:14 PM -0700 ted creedon
<tcreedon@easystreet.com> wrote:

> Is there any particular branch for 64 bit?
> Tedc

It's true that for bleeding-edge kernels, sometimes there's something new
that we need to test for.  However, OpenAFS does build on 2.6.16 kernels,
and a failure in the rlim test almost always means you've done something
wrong which prevents _any_ of the compile-time kernel tests from compiling.
It constantly amazes me that whenever anyone reports this, the first
response of people on this list who really ought to know better is to try
to figure out what has changed in the kernel.

Instead, the _first_ things you should be looking for are
- is configure using the same compiler that was used for your kernel?
- do you have the linux kernel headers installed, and in the right place?
- if so _why_ did configure fail to compile the tests?

Look in config.log, find the first occurrance of the string "rlim", and
look at the compiler errors around there.  Not the messages from the
configure script, and not the test program that failed.  What you're
interested in is the compiler errors.

-- Jeff