[OpenAFS] SuSE 10.1 kernel 2.6.16.13-4/64Bit compile error - OpenAFS 1.5.2

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:29:58 -0400

"chas williams - CONTRACTOR" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> In message <D926CDB9E3672E5F38B5D18C@bistromath.pc.cs.cmu.edu>,Jeffrey Hutzelma
> n writes:
>>>   MODPOST
>>> FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module libafs.ko uses GPL-only symbol
>>> 'sys_open'
>>
>>Bastards.
>>Well, I guess we could LINUX_VERSION_CODE it out or something.  I hate to
>>break things if there's some older kernel where that's the only method that
>>works (though I can't think of a case where exit+open is known to work and
>>pattern scan isn't).
>
> unfortunately LINUX_VERSION_CODE is fragile too.  just using the new build
> test and building a complete module will let you check for this new
> "sys_open is gpl'ed" condition.  this would make the page_follow_link()
> easier too since you wont need the special -Werror.

How does that work if you're not building against the running kernel?
You can't modprobe the test module because you're not running
the kernel you're building against.

-derek