[OpenAFS] Bogus volumes after RAID rebuild and fsck

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:29:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Esther Filderman wrote:

> On 7/14/06, Daniel Miller <daniel@mri.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>>
>> I'm also trying to do salvage again using 'bos salvage -server keizan
>> -partition vicepa -noauth' and I get:
>> bos: shutting down fs.
>> bos: can't stop 'fs' (you are not authorized for this operation)
>
> You probably weren't using an id that's in the UserList on the fileserver.
>
>> Any ideas as to how to fix these bogus volumes?
>

> My experience is that they're just that -- bogus volumes. They're
> trash.  Ignore 'em or "vos zap" 'em.

Well, let's just say that practical experience says killing them blindly
is asking to bend over. Know what you kill before you kill it. Don't, for
instance, vos zap a real volume which got trashed and thus was decided by
the salvager to be bogus if you expect to recover data from it.

Derrick