[OpenAFS] Bogus volumes after RAID rebuild and fsck

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:36:16 -0400

On 7/19/06, Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
> > My experience is that they're just that -- bogus volumes. They're
> > trash.  Ignore 'em or "vos zap" 'em.
>
> Well, let's just say that practical experience says killing them blindly
> is asking to bend over. Know what you kill before you kill it. Don't, for
> instance, vos zap a real volume which got trashed and thus was decided by
> the salvager to be bogus if you expect to recover data from it.

Yeah, Derrick has a good point here.   I shouldn't have been so
blase'. First try to find out what it is.  Hopefully you're regularly
keeping track of what volumes are on your servers.

It's just that 99% of the time I've had this happen it's been a junk
volume.  But that doesn't mean it will always be so quick to brush off
it being a valid but corrupted volume.

Sorry about that.

e.