[OpenAFS] AFS cache on ZFS fails

William Yang wyang@tjhsst.edu
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:45:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C6AD06.A7826EF0

I suspect this is because of the way AFS cache space is handled by afsd. =
 When I start afsd with AFS cache on ZFS I get a kernel panic, similar =
to the panic I get if I specify something under /tmp for cache (since =
/tmp is swap which includes RAM; it's not disk cache).  Does anyone know =
if support for AFS cache on a ZFS filesystem will eventually be =
implemented, or how I might be able to get it to work?  Also, while I =
haven't tried this yet, does anyone know if using ZFS for an AFS server =
partition works?  It'd be great if AFS worked with ZFS; performance =
should be greatly improved, plus we don't have HW RAID on our Solaris =
boxes so it would be great for reliability too.  Also, we wouldn't have =
to predetermine the partition sizes.

FYI, I'm running Solaris 10 6/06 on our testing server which has a =
single 40GB IDE hard drive, so ZFS is only on a partition of the disk.

--William Yang
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C6AD06.A7826EF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suspect this is because of the way =
AFS cache=20
space is handled by afsd.&nbsp; When&nbsp;I start afsd with AFS cache on =
ZFS I=20
get a kernel panic, similar to the panic I get if I =
specify&nbsp;something under=20
/tmp for cache (since&nbsp;/tmp is swap which includes RAM; it's not =
disk=20
cache).&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know if support for AFS cache on a ZFS =
filesystem=20
will eventually be implemented, or how I might be able to get it to =
work?&nbsp;=20
Also, while I haven't tried this yet, does anyone know if using ZFS for =
an AFS=20
server partition works?&nbsp; It'd be great if AFS worked with ZFS; =
performance=20
should be greatly improved, plus&nbsp;we don't have HW RAID on our =
Solaris boxes=20
so it would be great for reliability too.&nbsp; Also, we wouldn't have =
to=20
predetermine the partition sizes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>FYI, I'm running Solaris 10 6/06 on our =
testing=20
server which has&nbsp;a single 40GB IDE hard drive, so ZFS is only on a=20
partition of the disk.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--William =
Yang</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01C6AD06.A7826EF0--