[OpenAFS] Memory leak with 1.4.1 modules on Linux 2.6.16

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:51:42 +0100

--ryJZkp9/svQ58syV

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:32:24PM -0700, Caskey L. Dickson wrote:
>=20
> You have created a cycle in your filesystem tree.  Unix tools assume=20
> that the structure of the file system is a tree in the ADT sense, namely=
=20
> an acyclic directed graph.  (Thus the default prohibition of making hard=
=20
> links to directories.)
>=20
> The path /afs/cell/dir/new_cells/cell/dir/new_cells/cell... produces an=
=20
> infinitely deep tree.

I know that was my mistake.

My problem is why the openafs modules consumed all the free RAM on
the client?  Don't the openafs client or the modules have protections
in place to prevent following infinity cycles in the path?

Can it be possible for a normal user to create this kind of infinity
cycles in the path?  And this way to cause a DoS on a multi-user
server that is client of AFS?

>=20
> CLD
>=20