[OpenAFS] "connection timed out" after salvage completes

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:00:27 -0700

Adam Megacz <megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:

> My fileserver seems to want to salvage every time the machine boots, but
> that's another story...

Make sure your system shutdown process is cleanly shutting down the file
server.

> It seems that if I access a volume being salvaged (OpenAFS 1.4.1 Linux
> client), I get the usual "connection timed out" error... but once the
> volume finishes salvaging and comes on-line (and other clients can
> access it), the client that got the error continues getting the error
> for several minutes.

> Is this the expected behavior, or should I narrow down the problem
> further and file a bug report?

It's expected; when a file server is down, the cache manager will mark the
host as down and won't retry for some interval (five minutes sticks in my
head).  You can force an immediate check with fs checkservers.