[OpenAFS] using afs for unix config files

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:41:10 -0500

We use AFS to store the "master" copies of various files like that that
should be the same on all systems, but the systems don't actually look at
the AFS copies for normal operation.  We have scripts that copy the master
versions to the local /etc directory and other local directories.  To us, it's
a good compromise, because you really want the critical files to be local to
the machine, but you can use AFS to only have to modify the files in one
place, and then just push out the changed files to each of the machines.

We do this for files like /etc/pam.conf, sendmail.cf, and ntp.conf.

Brian