[OpenAFS] using afs for unix config files

John Rudd jrudd@ucsc.edu
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:04:10 -0700

We have been doing that (having master copies in AFS and copying them
down to local systems when they get changed) for certain files (passwd
file, aliases file, etc.), but we're moving away from using AFS for
this, and toward using cfengine.  Partially because several of the
sub-groups in our large group aren't using AFS, and we want one
solution that goes across the entire large group.

But, it does work.  It's a good strategy if you're widely using AFS.
It's a much better strategy, in my opinion, than actually having
critical resources exist _in_ AFS.  When I first got here, there were
machines that either couldn't boot without having access to AFS, or
were unusable without access to AFS.  This meant lots of extra hoops
for simple things like "booting to single user mode".  So my peers and
I started moving away from "/bin/* and much of /etc/* are symlinks into
AFS" and toward "master copies are in AFS, and regularly copied down to
local locations if a change is detected".  Made things MUCH better in
our environment.

You can also use CVS with auto-updating, and a few other mechanisms.
But if you've got AFS, might as well leverage it.  And, you might be
able to "store the master copies in AFS, but use cfengine for managing
how it gets used locally" ... but I'm not as familiar with cfengine's
internals so I'm not sure about the details there.