*** Spam *** Re: [OpenAFS] Moving content of /vicep w/o 'vos {backup,restore}?

Kim Kimball dhk@ccre.com
Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:58:59 -0600

Christof Hanke wrote:
> Do you use a NAMEI-fileserver ?
> If yes,
> you can move the files (while the fileserver being down.).
> Just make sure you preserve all the unix file-attributes, so use
> something like
> cd /vicep<old>
> tar -cf - | tar -C /vicep<new> -x
> Then startup the fileserver again.
>
> I have never used an inode server and don't know what happens if you
> try that above, but I guess it will destroy all your data.
> Christof

WRT _inode_ vicep's:

tar will not see the volume contents on an inode server.

Instead it will nicely create an archive of only the volume header
files, /vicep*/V*.vol

Removing the volume header files from the original vicep unusable, and
the target vicep will have only volume headers and no data, and will
also be unusable.

I don't know if copying the volume headers back to the originating vicep
would be sufficient to repair an inode vicep.  I don't see why not but
I've never tried it.

Kim