[OpenAFS] Re: vos remove / vos zap failure observations

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:25:38 -0400

On Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:34:45 AM -0400 Joe Buehler
<jbuehler@spirentcom.com> wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> It only removes what it knows about. If it doesn't believe those files
>> should be removed (for instance because more than one volume in the
>> volume group is believed to exist) then it won't remove it.
>
> I didn't understand that -- what's a volume group in this context?

A volume group consists of a single RW volume and all clones derived from
it, including backup volumes, same-site RO replicas, and temporary clones
which may be created for release, move, copy, and dump operations,
depending on the circumstances.

> I was under the impression that there is a 1 to 1 mapping between
> volume ID and top-level directory name under /vicep*, so that
> when I say "vos remove" or "vos zap" it seems sensible that
> the tree should be clobbered.

Then you were mistaken.

If it is easy to reproduce the problem starting with a fresh, empty
partition, please describe exactly how to do so.  As Derrick says, if you
have crap on disk, then you have crap on disk, and the salvager isn't
always very good at recovering from certain kinds of failure.  But you
shouldn't be able to get into that state in normal operation, and if you
can do so reliably, then _that_ is a bug that we can investigate.

-- Jeff