[OpenAFS] Re: vos remove / vos zap failure observations

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Joe Buehler wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
>> It only removes what it knows about. If it doesn't believe those files
>> should be removed (for instance because more than one volume in the
>> volume group is believed to exist) then it won't remove it.
>
> I didn't understand that -- what's a volume group in this context?

Jeff obviously already filled in some detail here, so I won't rehash.

> No, it's not broken in normal usage.  The problem is that it is easy enough
> to break it, but there is no easy way to fix it.

Ok, send a script that breaks it and I promise you it will be fixed
(perhaps not for 1.4.2 at this point)

> My question remains: would blowing away the disk tree associated
> with the vos remove/vos zap target volume be a solution to this problem?

And the answer still is "only if there are really no other volumes in the
volume group."

Derrick