[OpenAFS] Re: what is "status: 11862790" (Tiger, rc8)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:51:43 -0500

On Tuesday, February 28, 2006 03:10:41 PM -0500 Ken Hornstein
<kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

>> That seems to say that you have an AFSDB record for
>> research.cs.berkeley.edu pointing to afs.research.cs.berkeley.edu, which
>> is a CNAME for research.cs.berkeley.edu, which has no records other than
>> the AFSDB record.  This is against our local caching BIND server.
>>
>> However, when I do that query directly against the listed NS servers, I
>> get the right results (an additional A and MX record for
>> research.cs.berkeley.edu).
>
> It's not clear to me how querying ANY is supposed to work, especially
> when related to caching.  When I first did ANY against our local
> caching DNS server for research.cs.berkeley.edu, I got only the AFSDB
> record (maybe because I queried the AFSDB entry before).  When I
> specifically queried the A record, I got the A record.  When I then
> queried ANY again, I got both the AFSDB and the A record.  I haven't
> been able to convince myself that their DNS is wrong, but it could be
> something related to that.

An ANY query will be answered with data in the cache, if there is any
unexpired data for that domain name.  If there are additional RR's for that
name which are not cached, they will not be returned.