[OpenAFS] What filesystem?

John Bass john.bass@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:11:55 -0800 (PST)

--0-1313003074-1141420315=:40228

Hi,

I hope everyone doesn't mind if I repeat a question.  One of the few responses I did get said I should be more complete in asking my question.

My boss is trying to choose one distributed file system from NFS and MS-DFS and so on, from my feeling, AFS sounds like the best choice, it is secure and is being used by many large institutes, such as  Harvard, MIT, NASA, Stanford, etc.   Actually GrandCentral.org says they use it, I cant tell for sure if that means the whole place, or one department, or a couple of people in a lab.

In order to convince my boss, I have searched via Internet, expected to find some kind of comparison between AFS, NFS and MS-DFS, or some web pages that could have something tracking the usage of each file system, which can be used to prove/indicate AFS is better than the others. But except for an outdated IBM AFS whitepaper, I didn't find any solid evidence or data that I can present to my boss.  I had hoped to find a source of information such as websites that track Linux installs or MSIE/Opera/Mozilla usage (or this), but it seems hards to find.  I see openafs.org has "Success Stories", but there are only five!

Anybody can see that some of very smart people made and use AFS, but how can an overworked person like me convince my also overworked boss that we should spend the money and time necessary to learn, deploy, train, and support AFS enterprize-wide?

I wonder if anyone of you have had this kind of situation before, or may have something that I can use to convince my boss.

Thank you in advance for any kindly assistance.

John Bass