[OpenAFS] New FC4 Kernel == Can't Find System Call Table

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:10:04 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Steve Roseman wrote:

> Jason McCormick wrote:
>>   After installing the new Fedora 4 kernel (2.6.14-1.1644_FC4), when you
>> insert the AFS module is now reports that it cannot find the syscall
>> table.
>>
>> System call hooks will not be installed; proceeding anyway
>> Starting AFS cache scan...found 1396 non-empty cache files (13%).
>>
>> I noticed this because suddenly FC4 is using UID-based PAGs.  We're
>> using OpenAFAS 1.4.0.  Is this a known problem?
>
> 	Has this problem ever been resolved?  I just tried openafs-1.4.1-rc9
> and it looks like it's still there.

If this is the bit where the syscall table has been moved into the .rodata
section, the resolution is to lose. Maybe someday we will get to use
kernel keyrings. We could actually do that today if we were willing to
break backward compatibility with every userland tool that did pags that
was compiled before today. For many sites this would simply be a different
form of sadness.

Derrick