[OpenAFS] What filesystem?

Hendrik Hoeth hendrik.hoeth@cern.ch
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 23:53:44 +0100

Hi,

Thus spake Jeffrey Altman (jaltman@secure-endpoints.com):
> What about software RAID?  At the very least you can implement that
> for the same $200.

I've seen too many software raids (x86, any linux 2.4; never tried 2.6
anymore) corrupt the files under high load, so I trust them less than I
trust a single USB harddisk. Once we even had a commercial 7k$ raid here
for testing, which was based on linux software raid. After two hours of
copying files NOT EVEN A SINGLE FILE had the right md5sum. The
salesperson who watched us became very quiet ... needless to say we
didn't buy it.

Cheers,

   Hendrik

--
Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter
it every six months.      -- Oscar Wilde