[OpenAFS] Is OpenAFS for me?

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve@umassmed.edu
Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:51:24 -0500

--------------070508040308090502000203

Sorry if this has been answered but after several days trying to narrow
down to a dristributed filesystem, I am still unsure what to pick. I
have narrowed it down to two: OpenAFS, and GFS.

Here is what I need:
1) Automatic data replication to multiple computers each with a drive
dedicated to the OpenAFS volume. If one computer goes down, the data is
still available from another computer.
   1a)  I plan on having 10 to 15 computers exporting one 400-500GB
drive..How many drives/computers can I lose without jeopardizing the
OpenAFS volume?
    2a) What happens to the OpenAFS system if I have to bring all the
computers down, one by one?
2) Expandable. Can I add another 400-500GB drive to a new computer and
add it to an existing OpenAFS volume?
3) Does OpenAFS need RAID for redundancy or is it taken care of at the
filesystem layer?
4) Is there a 2GB file limitation? (I have read conflicting reports)

--------------070508040308090502000203

begin:vcard
fn:Karl Bellve
n:Bellve;Karl
org:Biomedical Imaging Group;Department of Physiology
adr:2 Biotech, Suite 114;;373 Plantation Street;Worcester;Massachusetts;01655;United States of America
email;internet:Karl.Bellve@umassmed.edu
title:Assistant Professor
tel;work:508-856-6514
tel;fax:508-856-6514