[OpenAFS] New FC4 Kernel == Can't Find System Call Table

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:45:04 -0500

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:18:45AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 09:10:04PM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> > If this is the bit where the syscall table has been moved into the .rodata
> > section, the resolution is to lose. Maybe someday we will get to use
> > kernel keyrings. We could actually do that today if we were willing to
> > break backward compatibility with every userland tool that did pags that
> > was compiled before today. For many sites this would simply be a different
> > form of sadness.
>
> How hard would it be to make this an option, so we can pick our sadness? :)

We've all complained and flamed about the sys_call_table hook sadness.
I think its definitely time to look at using the kernel keyrings.  Its a
much better solution and will lead toward much happiness in the end.

I use several third party tools with OpenAFS that this would break.  I'm
willing to work with maintainers and fix them to use the kernel
keyrings.  I've actually been trying to find some time to see what would
be involved in porting OpenAFS.

Pointers to what would be involved?

Jack Neely

--