[OpenAFS] 1.4.x fileserver crashes on amd64_linux2X when tracing turned on

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:00:53 -0500

On Thursday, March 16, 2006 09:47:18 AM +0100 Rainer Toebbicke
<rtb@pclella.cern.ch> wrote:

> I showed you what the problem is and how one could fix it, done so in
> numerous occasions in the past. As explained, afsutil.h looked attractive
> as it leaves the option open to switch everything to afs_inet_ntoa() with
> a simple #define. More earth to earth: it involves patching only 1 rather
> stable file, which suits somebody who routinely has ~30 patches to apply
> to every AFS version before it can go production.
>
> You can do better? Applause! Exaltation! Hurrah... do it, please!

Oh, come on.  It's perfectly reasonable to discuss possible approaches to a
problem in an open forum.  And it's entirely reasonable to have coding
standards, and discuss what they should be, and require that submitted
patches conform to them.

For the record, I don't set policy for OpenAFS, and I don't decide what
patches to accept.  I do push really hard on the gatekeepers when I think
they're about to do (or have done) something I think is stupid.  Sometimes
it works; sometimes Derrick puts his fingers in his ears and sticks out his
tongue at me. :-)

If you have a patch, send it to -bugs.  I'm sure the gatekeepers will do
whatever they think is appropriate.

As for your other 30 patches or so, what are they?  Bug fixes?  Local
enhancements?  Things that can/should go upstream?  I haven't had that many
local patches to AFS in several years; I'm curious what you're doing
differently.

-- Jeff