[OpenAFS] Fedora 5

Peter M. Metcalf pmetcalf@nd.edu
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:37:37 -0500

--=====================_2965359==.ALT

Derek,
Well, so far I have contacted the list about 3 times and I've yet to come
up with that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when a "mentor" takes you into
his confidence and helps you over a problem.

Where I understand how busy you must be there at MIT, we here at ND do
little side jobs like repair things and solve problems for our Faculty when
they are busy and stumped with those little things they do to teach.

So, first thing I want you to know that I have put your 10 year old picture
on my site so all the world will know the man that made AFS work after IBM
gave up.  Your the man!
http://ndpete.com

Today's business with the list was pretty much what everybody else needs
help with...AFS.  I realize that you don't control RedHat (as far as I
know) and the Fedora group who by the way has come out with an upgrade.

It would seem to me, that since this rpmbuild....and configure this...make
that...is so second nature to the group that when one of us (USERS) who may
not spend all of their time writing software ask a "dumb" question
like....how do I now add AFS to my new FC5 install, one of you would take
the time out of your busy days making things better to simply compile, if
that is the correct term, the necessary SRPM that we all need to move
forward in this world of AFS.

I know after my question this morning that I then spent most of the day
trying to "build" a version that would plug into my NEW fedora core 5
machine.  I have 3 others still running FC4 and they will go untouched
until I can buy one of you whatever it is you hope to get out of this as a
reward for being the "good guy" we all hope we will know someday before we
croak.

You see what a little supper, a cold beer and a laptop can make a guy do
that has managed to accomplish very little in a day that we here at ND
think is a brand new "Y2K" weekend coming up for our campus.  You see, we
are going to celebrate the coming of Daylight Savings Time for the first
time in the last maybe 30 years.  A busy weekend for our OIT guys as they
will be standing by on Sunday when the time changes.

Surely you wish you could be here this weekend!
Pete
--=====================_2965359==.ALT

Derek,<br>
Well, so far I have contacted the list about 3 times and I've yet to come
up with that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when a &quot;mentor&quot;
takes you into his confidence and helps you over a problem.<br><br>
Where I understand how busy you must be there at MIT, we here at ND do
little side jobs like repair things and solve problems for our Faculty
when they are busy and stumped with those little things they do to
teach.<br><br>
So, first thing I want you to know that I have put your 10 year old
picture on my site so all the world will know the man that made AFS work
after IBM gave up.&nbsp; Your the man!<br>
...<br>
http://ndpete.com<br><br>
</a></div>
Today's business with the list was pretty much what everybody else needs
help with...AFS.&nbsp; I realize that you don't control RedHat (as far as
I know) and the Fedora group who by the way has come out with an
upgrade.<br><br>
It would seem to me, that since this rpmbuild....and configure
this...make that...is so second nature to the group that when one of us
(USERS) who may not spend all of their time writing software ask a
&quot;dumb&quot; question like....how do I now add AFS to my new FC5
install, one of you would take the time out of your busy days making
things better to simply compile, if that is the correct term, the
necessary SRPM that we all need to move forward in this world of AFS.
I know after my question this morning that I then spent most of the day
trying to &quot;build&quot; a version that would plug into my NEW fedora
core 5 machine.&nbsp; I have 3 others still running FC4 and they will go
untouched until I can buy one of you whatever it is you hope to get out
of this as a reward for being the &quot;good guy&quot; we all hope we
will know someday before we croak.<br><br>
You see what a little supper, a cold beer and a laptop can make a guy do
that has managed to accomplish very little in a day that we here at ND
think is a brand new &quot;Y2K&quot; weekend coming up for our
campus.&nbsp; You see, we are going to celebrate the coming of Daylight
Savings Time for the first time in the last maybe 30 years.&nbsp; A busy
weekend for our OIT guys as they will be standing by on Sunday when the
time changes.<br><br>
Surely you wish you could be here this weekend!<br>
Pete</body>