[OpenAFS] Fedora 5

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:14:10 -0500

Peter M. Metcalf wrote:

> Derek,
> Well, so far I have contacted the list about 3 times and I've yet to
> come up with that warm and fuzzy feeling you get when a "mentor" takes
> you into his confidence and helps you over a problem.
>
> Where I understand how busy you must be there at MIT, we here at ND do
> little side jobs like repair things and solve problems for our Faculty
> when they are busy and stumped with those little things they do to teach.
>
> So, first thing I want you to know that I have put your 10 year old
> picture on my site so all the world will know the man that made AFS
> work after IBM gave up.  Your the man!
> http://ndpete.com
>
> <http://ndpete.com/>
> Today's business with the list was pretty much what everybody else
> needs help with...AFS.  I realize that you don't control RedHat (as
> far as I know) and the Fedora group who by the way has come out with
> an upgrade.
>
> It would seem to me, that since this rpmbuild....and configure
> this...make that...is so second nature to the group that when one of
> us (USERS) who may not spend all of their time writing software ask a
> "dumb" question like....how do I now add AFS to my new FC5 install,
> one of you would take the time out of your busy days making things
> better to simply compile, if that is the correct term, the necessary
> SRPM that we all need to move forward in this world of AFS.
>
> I know after my question this morning that I then spent most of the
> day trying to "build" a version that would plug into my NEW fedora
> core 5 machine.  I have 3 others still running FC4 and they will go
> untouched until I can buy one of you whatever it is you hope to get
> out of this as a reward for being the "good guy" we all hope we will
> know someday before we croak.
>
> You see what a little supper, a cold beer and a laptop can make a guy
> do that has managed to accomplish very little in a day that we here at
> ND think is a brand new "Y2K" weekend coming up for our campus.  You
> see, we are going to celebrate the coming of Daylight Savings Time for
> the first time in the last maybe 30 years.  A busy weekend for our OIT
> guys as they will be standing by on Sunday when the time changes.
>
> Surely you wish you could be here this weekend!
> Pete

Sounds like a good reason to build from src.  ;-) RPMS are nice but
usually take more than a week to arrive. Maybe I missed something but
honestly this whole posting seems awful *&%5^ nasty to me.
If you were paying big dollars for this software you would never even be
allowed to communicate with its developers .. you would just be told to
stand over in the corner and wait. :-)
/sd

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra