[OpenAFS] File ownership/permissions semantics

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:28:15 -0600

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> Quoting Bill Stivers <stiversb@ucsc.edu>:
>>> Or, instead of a push hand-in system, you could have a pull hand-in
>>> system.  Have a script copy the data directly out of each students
>>> ~id/classnum/assignnum directory at the time it is due.  The
>>> student would be responsible for ACLing it appropriately (allow
>>> handin script, but not other students,) or the script could run on
>>> some trusted machine with full privs to grab the files.
>>
>> I'm particularly liking this as a potential option.  It's a
>> fundamental rearchitecting of a decade-old process, but sometimes
>> life is better for things to be shaken up some.  I may have to
>> implement this.
>
> In fact you could implement this without changing the way the scripts
> look to the end user.  Instead of creating the directory in the class
> volume, when the student runs the script it creates the "proper"
> directory in their own filespace and sets the proper previledges for
> the TAs.

Oh, good idea.

> This script could also touch a file in the class volume
> so the TAs have the list of users.  A simple "rli" will let you do
> this.

You could touch files for other students then.  (I'm not sure if that
would be a bad or not, it would depend if students can get negative
points for turning in non-functioning code.)

<<CDC