[OpenAFS] Drive Mappings in 1.5.10

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:49:52 -0500

At 02:01 AM 11/3/2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>Kevin:
>
>I have been unable to re-create the "Dr" problem in the afs_config
>drive mappings.  However, I advise against using that tool.  I believe
>that all drive mappings should be made using the Explorer.  There is
>nothing special about a AFS drive mapping.  Simply map a drive letter
>using Explorer to the UNC path within AFS.

I also see only "Dr" in the drive listings of both the afscreds systray
tool and afs_config.exe.

>As for Global Drive Mappings.  They should not be used.  Microsoft
>deprecated the functionality in Windows 2000 and its use can result
>in unpredictable behavior.

In our networked Windows/AFS architecture we still use a global drive,
however we have been planning (for quite some time) to migrate away from
it.  The historical reason we use a global drive is because Windows needs
access to the network folders that contain the users roaming profile data
.... before the standard user drives are mounted (post profile).  I have
done some preliminary investigation by changing some profile paths for some
test users AD profiles to using UNC paths.  The results were not good.  If
memory serves me (I did this investigation over a year ago), the problem
was that Windows handles client side caching and access control differently
than a "drive mount".  I seemed to be continually bombarded with file
sychronization popups when UNC paths were used.  This may have been more
related to our use of "folder redirection" than the profiles themselves.  I
have not had the time to get back to performing the tests with the current
AFS client.  That's on my list.