[OpenAFS] AFS and PhotoShop interaction?

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:24:51 -0600

Mike Polek <mike@pictage.com> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>   I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but I'm gathering

This is the correct place to post.

> information and would like to know if anyone else has had a similar
> experience. This is on Windows XP using 1.4.2a-DEBUG client.
> The fileserver is running Fedora Core 5 and OpenAFS 1.4.2 (new
> machine). Similar behavior using 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 windows clients and
> 1.4.1 fileserver.

I'd suggest trying the 1.5.10 client.

>   When opening images in Photoshop from AFS, they load rather slowly,
> compared to opening a file on the local drive. This isn't unexpected.
> However, if I open the file from AFS into another image viewer, it
> shows up pretty much instantly. (This behavior is independent of
> which I do first, and is repeatable, so I don't think it depends on
> whether the file is in the cache.)

How big are the files?  Are they larger than the AFS cache on the
client?

>   Now the weird part.... If I copy some image files from AFS to
> the desktop, and then drag them into Photoshop, they still load
> slowly AND the CPU usage on the afsd daemon goes up to 50%.
> Just seemed kind of weird that the afsd daemon gets triggered
> after the files have been placed on the desktop.

The high CPU usage is likely from encryption.  fs setcrypt off and
re-run the tests.

What kind of hardware are you using on the client?  I've had bad
experiences trying to do any file operation with PII hardware.

<<CDC