[OpenAFS] AFS and PhotoShop interaction?

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:25:34 -0800

What kind of files, jpg or tif?

Here using 1.5.10 talking to a 1.4.0 server, the jpg are instantaneous, the
tif take a little longer to make thumbnails of. Files are hi res 5+meg each.

Drag and drop in both cases is just great.

I just sorted through several thousand photos for a talk and the performance
is superb.

Using 1GB Lan.

On the net with 768K upload, performance is slower until the cache gets
built, then its just fine too. Same when on a 10BT wireless at a hotel.

Tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Mike Polek
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 2:51 PM
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: [OpenAFS] AFS and PhotoShop interaction?

Hi, All,
   I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but I'm gathering
information and would like to know if anyone else has had a similar
experience. This is on Windows XP using 1.4.2a-DEBUG client.
The fileserver is running Fedora Core 5 and OpenAFS 1.4.2 (new machine).
Similar behavior using 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 windows clients and 1.4.1 fileserver.

   When opening images in Photoshop from AFS, they load rather slowly,
compared to opening a file on the local drive. This isn't unexpected.
However, if I open the file from AFS into another image viewer, it shows up
pretty much instantly. (This behavior is independent of which I do first,
and is repeatable, so I don't think it depends on whether the file is
in the cache.)

   Now the weird part.... If I copy some image files from AFS to
the desktop, and then drag them into Photoshop, they still load
slowly AND the CPU usage on the afsd daemon goes up to 50%.
Just seemed kind of weird that the afsd daemon gets triggered
after the files have been placed on the desktop.

   Anybody else notice any strange interactions between AFS
and photoshop?

Thanks,
Mike Polek
Pictage, Inc.