[OpenAFS] Compiling afs module on sparc64

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:57:51 -0800

Bastian <dea1306@melvex.xs4all.nl> writes:

> I don't know if this is of much help, but I recently compiled the
> openafs module 1.4.2 on Etch (2.6.17) i386 without any problem. However:
> on loading the module dmesg complaints about the license ('taints
> kernel'). It seems the license of openafs does not look GPL enough to
> linux. The module loads though.

Yup, that's because it's not GPL (it's released under the IBM Public
License).

However, normally it will build anyway.  It sounds like there's some sort
of additional restriction on sparc64 that's not present on x86 or amd64
(at least) in the kernel.

> It looks to me your problem is some kind of 'refusal' to build openafs,
> rather than a technical issue.  Could there be some policy in effect on
> your system?

Usually this policy is set in the kernel source, I'm afraid.