[OpenAFS] Possible problem with openafs-client or modules 1.4.2

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:12:15 +0000

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:52:30PM -0500, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Jose Calhariz wrote:
>=20
> >>Can you get tcpdump from the client's point of view? Basically, at some
> >>point the client is marking the server down, I assume. The question is =
on
> >>the basis of what.
> >
> >I can imagine what is happening. Can I ask some questions?
>=20
> Asking that was itself a question :)
>=20
> >If they
> >are explained somewhere, please point where.
> >
> >What the client see when the file server is:
> >
> > - Locking a volume to do a vos clone or vos backup?
>=20
> RW? RO? Locking is a vldb concept. Clients don't care. But taking a volum=
e=20
> offline causes VBUSY replies. But a clone can be done basically without a=
=20
> period of inavailability, and a backup is just a special clone.

It's a RW volume and I think the locking takes long because it have
many small files.

>=20
> > - When a volume is being salvaged?
>=20
> Here it's offline and you get VBUSY til it comes back, if it's one of=20
> several ROs you can use another.
>=20
> > - When the fileserver is doing a weekly restart?
>=20
> VRESTARTING/VBUSY
>=20
> Look in src/viced/afsfileprocs.c, starting with
>                /* The volume we want may not be attached yet because
>                  * the volume initialization is not yet complete.
>=20
> All of this should be dealt with by clients. That's the point.

I starting to understand the problem you are looking.  From reading to
the comment, the client should had waited until the volume was ready.
What I have seen is sometimes the client don't wait for the volume to
be ready, so the compilation abort because of problems reading or
writing to the volume.