[OpenAFS] Possible problem with openafs-client or modules 1.4.2

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:52:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Jose Calhariz wrote:

>> Can you get tcpdump from the client's point of view? Basically, at some
>> point the client is marking the server down, I assume. The question is on
>> the basis of what.
>
> I can imagine what is happening. Can I ask some questions?

Asking that was itself a question :)

> If they
> are explained somewhere, please point where.
>
> What the client see when the file server is:
>
>  - Locking a volume to do a vos clone or vos backup?

RW? RO? Locking is a vldb concept. Clients don't care. But taking a volume
offline causes VBUSY replies. But a clone can be done basically without a
period of inavailability, and a backup is just a special clone.

>  - When a volume is being salvaged?

Here it's offline and you get VBUSY til it comes back, if it's one of
several ROs you can use another.

>  - When the fileserver is doing a weekly restart?

VRESTARTING/VBUSY

Look in src/viced/afsfileprocs.c, starting with
                /* The volume we want may not be attached yet because
                  * the volume initialization is not yet complete.

All of this should be dealt with by clients. That's the point.

Derrick