[OpenAFS] AMD clients

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:11:05 -0500

Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> writes:
> From: Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu>
> To: OpenAFS-Info <openafs-info@openafs.org>
> Subject: [OpenAFS] AMD clients
> Sender: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:32:17 -0500
>
> We are considering buying a Dell AMD server.
> Has anyone built a client on this yet?  We would likely use Solaris 10
> or RedHat.
> I have yet to try a amd so I don't know what types of issues that might
> pop up.
> Thanks
> /sd

Are you planning to make this a fileserver, an afs db server, or
something else where it's actually just an afs client?

I've built a client cache manager for amd64.  I didn't have any special
issues with openafs, in fact I just used the debian openafs package to
build it.  I certainly had annoying hardware issues, but that was
because my amd64 machine came with some sort of evil non-dfsg "host
raid" card.  You won't have that particular problem.  I don't expect
you'll have serious problems with any recent stable version of amd64
linux + openafs.  OpenAFS should work just as well with sunx86_510, but
I have no personal experience to back that claim.

I think the more interesting question will be support of RH vs. solaris
10 for dell and whatever I/O peripherals they provide, but that's not
really an OpenAFS issue.

You can also install a 32-bit-only OS on amd64.  You'll sacrifice some
speed so I don't know why you would do this, but this should work with
openafs just like any other pentium 2 through 4 architecture machine.

				-Marcus