[OpenAFS] AMD clients

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:30:44 -0500

--------------040805080108050602090002

Marcus Watts wrote:
> Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> writes:

>> From: Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu>
>> To: OpenAFS-Info <openafs-info@openafs.org>
>> Subject: [OpenAFS] AMD clients
>> Sender: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
>> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:32:17 -0500
>>
>> We are considering buying a Dell AMD server.
>> Has anyone built a client on this yet?  We would likely use Solaris 10
>> or RedHat.
>> I have yet to try a amd so I don't know what types of issues that might
>> pop up.
>> Thanks
>> /sd
>>

> Are you planning to make this a fileserver, an afs db server, or
> something else where it's actually just an afs client?

We actually will just run the afs client to support our version of
mfiles ( I think you have heard of this :-) )
/sd

> I've built a client cache manager for amd64.  I didn't have any special
> issues with openafs, in fact I just used the debian openafs package to
> build it.  I certainly had annoying hardware issues, but that was
> because my amd64 machine came with some sort of evil non-dfsg "host
> raid" card.  You won't have that particular problem.  I don't expect
> you'll have serious problems with any recent stable version of amd64
> linux + openafs.  OpenAFS should work just as well with sunx86_510, but
> I have no personal experience to back that claim.
>
> I think the more interesting question will be support of RH vs. solaris
> 10 for dell and whatever I/O peripherals they provide, but that's not
> really an OpenAFS issue.
>
> You can also install a 32-bit-only OS on amd64.  You'll sacrifice some
> speed so I don't know why you would do this, but this should work with
> openafs just like any other pentium 2 through 4 architecture machine.
>
> 				-Marcus

Steve Devine
Storage Systems
Academic Computing & Network Services
Michigan State University

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra

--------------040805080108050602090002

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Marcus Watts wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Steve Devine <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:sdevine@msu.edu">&lt;sdevine@msu.edu&gt;</a> writes:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Message-ID: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:455A43F1.2020600@msu.edu">&lt;455A43F1.2020600@msu.edu&gt;</a>
From: Steve Devine <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:sdevine@msu.edu">&lt;sdevine@msu.edu&gt;</a>
To: OpenAFS-Info <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:openafs-info@openafs.org">&lt;openafs-info@openafs.org&gt;</a>
Subject: [OpenAFS] AMD clients
Sender: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org">openafs-info-admin@openafs.org</a>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:32:17 -0500

We are considering buying a Dell AMD server.
Has anyone built a client on this yet?  We would likely use Solaris 10
or RedHat.
I have yet to try a amd so I don't know what types of issues that might
pop up.
Thanks
/sd
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Are you planning to make this a fileserver, an afs db server, or
something else where it's actually just an afs client?
  </pre>
We actually will just run the afs client to support our version of
mfiles ( I think you have heard of this <span class="moz-smiley-s1"><span>
/sd<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">
[...]

<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems
Academic Computing &amp; Network Services