[OpenAFS] weird memory problem on i386_linux26 with 1.4.2

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:13:35 -0500

In message <64B6B0E370794FD48F1D63697017E20E@ad.uiuc.edu>,"Christopher D. Claus
en" writes:
>Every 3 weeks or so, the machine ends up using so much non-pagable
>memory that OOM killer starts whacking processes and in general, bad
>things happen.  Very little if any swap is in use (on the order of a few
>MBs.)  This can be solved by stopping everything that is accessing AFS
>and restarting the AFS client.  Its fine for another 3 weeks and the
>problem repeats.

>We were running 1.4.1 and I just upgraded to 1.4.2 (about three weeks
>ago) and it still has this problem.

if i didnt know better, i would say it sounds like afs pag gc is not
running properly.  however, i am pretty sure this enabled by default
in 1.4.2 now.  next time this gets sick, capturing the contents on
/proc/slabinfo might provide a clue.

>I'm currently running with the Debian 1.4.2-2 package (backported to
>sarge) default afsd options for a 14GB cache and have tried using a
>smaller 5GB cache and reducing the afsd parameters with no effect.  The
>standard debian 2.6.8-3-686-smp kernel is in use.  Cache partition is
>ext3.  I believe that is safe, right?

this all sounds fine.