[OpenAFS] weird memory problem on i386_linux26 with 1.4.2

Sean O'Malley omalleys@msu.edu
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:39:11 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:

> In message <64B6B0E370794FD48F1D63697017E20E@ad.uiuc.edu>,"Christopher D. Claus
> en" writes:
> >Every 3 weeks or so, the machine ends up using so much non-pagable
> >memory that OOM killer starts whacking processes and in general, bad
> >things happen.  Very little if any swap is in use (on the order of a few
> >MBs.)  This can be solved by stopping everything that is accessing AFS
> >and restarting the AFS client.  Its fine for another 3 weeks and the
> >problem repeats.
>
> >We were running 1.4.1 and I just upgraded to 1.4.2 (about three weeks
> >ago) and it still has this problem.

Just for a point of reference.

We had the same problem on Suse 10, with the stock suse afsd v1.85 and
linux kernel 2.6.9 except it happened every 7-10 days. This was with both
the smp and single processor i686 kernels. The machines in question really
only touched afs via samba running out of inetd and using pam for token
grabbing. AFS cache was on an ext3 partition.

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University