[OpenAFS] openafs 1.4.2: 'klog -setpag' doesn't work on rhel4

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:33:06 -0800

Berthold Cogel <cogel@rrz.uni-koeln.de> writes:

> I've installed the openafs-1.4.2 RPMs on two Systems. One system is
> still running RHEL3, the other is a fresh installed RHEL4 system.

> On the RHEL4 system I've tried to get a AFS token during the postinstall
> process of the system to fetch some files from the AFS. When I'm doing
> this with 'klog -setpag <afsuser>' it fails. 'klog <afsuser>' works.

Correct.  klog -setpag doesn't work with OpenAFS 1.4.2 and current
kernels.  The code required to support the -setpag feature is hideous and
breaks all sorts of kernel abstractions, and in 1.4.2 it was deemed too
dangerous to continue to attempt since it can lead to race conditions.

This really should have been in the release notes; sorry about that.